Indigenous Health Scholarship
Deakin University, VIC
Bachelor of Social Work
Scholarship Awarded 2020-2021
Rotary Club of Ivanhoe
How will I contribute to improving Indigenous health as a qualified medical practitioner or health worker?
Work in professional …
As I work through this degree my main aim is to work within a relevant professional stream to assist and support Indigenous women men and children as well a young people who are entering into adulthood and more importantly their mental health. Indigenous health statistic are rapidly changing. I would contribute to improving the health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (A&TSI) people as a qualified health worker practitioner by improving and providing a reflective and on-going practice and commitment to strengthening individual leadership. The aim would be to grow an awareness of the knowledge of A&TSI peoples and continue to build better lives from Indigenous people – as individuals, families and community.
Cross cultural barrier enlightenment …
My contribution would be to enlighten the cross cultural barriers and thereby providing a clear understanding a differences. Cultural ideologies’ and understanding of impacts of trauma within the A&TSI communities needs to be healed. I would demonstrate leadership and knowledge of working simultaneously within both cultural structures of life.
Provision of culturally appropriate Social work health care to A&TSI …
My aim would be to assist and improve the following:
- Strategies for past trauma and the impact it has on current traumas of today, build awareness of generational cycles of trauma and the status quo.
- Work through and explore strategies to embrace the healing of our people
- General health checks
- Build and enhance community education
- Build a stronger understanding of complications for adolescent behaviours
- Explore relevant avenues for parents and for parents to be become aware of their experiences when it comes to youth mental health
- Talk about the comparison between health outcomes for A&TSI people across the country
- Explore the impact of information techno ledge … and build on information sharing
Current Progressive Report